What's not to love about fresh veggies combined with heat and smoke on the grill? Instead of the traditional tomatoes and cucumbers, this easy Mediterranean inspired bread salad is hearty and filling, and pairs nicely with whites, rose and even lighter red wines, such as our Reininger Sémillon, Helix Rosé, Helix Chardonnay, and Helix Sangiovese.
- 3 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Tbsp. chopped fresh basil
- 4 tsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp. grated lemon zest
- 1 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- salt and pepper
- 1 red onion or Walla Walla Sweet, sliced into 1/2 inch thick rounds
- 2 red bell peppers, stemmed, seeded, and quartered
- 2 zucchini, halved lengthwise
- 6 oz. French or Italian bread, cut into 1-inch thick slices
- 2 oz. goat cheese (about 1/2 cup)
- vegetable oil spray
To make the vinaigrette:
- Whisk the oil, basil, lemon juice, lemon zest, mustard, garlic, 1/8 tsp salt and 1/8 tsp pepper together in a large bowl and set aside.
- Thread the onion rounds, from side to side, onto 2 metal skewers.
- Lightly coat all of the vegetables with vegetable oil spray and season with 1/8 tsp salt and 1/8 tsp pepper.
For a Gas Grill:
- Turn all the burners to high, cover, and heat the grill until hot, about 15 minutes. Turn all the burners to medium (adjust the burners as needed to maintain a medium fire.)
- Clean and oil the cooking range. Place the vegetables (skewered onions + unskewered pepper and zucchini) on one half of the grill and cook, covered, until spottily charred on both sides, about 10-15 minutes total, flipping them halfway through. Transfer the vegetables to a cutting board and remove the onion from the skewers.
- While the vegetables are grilling, lightly coat the bread slices with vegetable oil spray and season with 1/8 tsp salt and 1/8 tsp pepper.
- Place the bread slices on the grill opposite the vegetables, and cook, covered, until golden grown on both sides, about 4 minutes, flipping the slices halfway through.
- Transfer the bread to the cutting board with the vegetables.
- Cut the vegetables into 1-inch pieces and the bread slices into 1-inch cubes.
- Add the vegetables and bread to the bowl that contains the vinaigrette and toss to coat.
- Divide the salad evenly onto four plates, sprinkle the cheese over the plates and serve.