Oct 3 2020
Recipe - Eggplant Caponata
Weekend goals: REININGER Sangiovese Grosso with eggplant caponata and pita. Our limited production 2017 Seven Hills Vineyard Sangiovese is made in a traditional Brunello style. Crafted from the Sangiovese Grosso clone, this wine has classic aromas and flavors of cherry, dried strawberry and tobacco. Perfect for game day at home.
- 1.5 lbs. eggplant
- ½ cup olive oil
- 1 28 oz. can tomatoes, undrained
- 3 cups onion, sliced
- 3 bell pepper (green, red or yellow), chopped
- 2 medium cloves garlic, minced
- ½ cup black olives, halved
- ½ cup pimento stuffed green olives, halved
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 Tbsp. sugar
- 2 Tbsp. capers, drained
- 2-4 Tbsp. tomato paste
- 2-3 tsp. dried basil
- 1 tsp. salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ cup pine nuts
- ½ cup parsley, chopped
- Peel eggplant and cut into 1-inch cubes
- Heat oil in a large, heavy sauté pan over medium heat.
- Add eggplant, tomatoes, onion, peppers and garlic.
- Cook until eggplant is tender. 20-30 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients, except pine nuts. Simmer for 15 minutes.
- Bring to room temperature. Prior to serving, add parsley and sprinkle with toasted pine nuts. Serve with pita triangles, pita chips, or baguette slices.