Mar 22 2021
Recipe - Asparagus Prosciutto Puff Pastry Bundles
Easter is just around the corner, and Semillon is the perfect white for your Sunday brunch. Its lower alcohol is great for a breakfast bevie, and with notes of lemongrass, honeycomb and flint, it pairs great with dishes like quiche, berry parfaits, fresh chevre and even asparagus. Try this chilled white with Fox and Briar’s Prosciutto Asparagus Puff Pastry Bundles.
- 1 bunch asparagus, ends trimmed (18-27 stalks)
- 1 Tbsp. evoo
- Salt and pepper
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed according to package directions
- 4 oz. Gruyere cheese, grated
- 9-12 slices prosciutto
- 1 egg, beaten
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out the puff pastry into a large rectangle or square to about double the original size. (Note: the pastry should still be cold. If it rises to room temperature it becomes more difficult to handle.) Square off the edges using a pizza cutter or sharp knife. Cut the pastry into 9 squares.
- Toss the asparagus in olive oil and season with pepper. (Note: the prosciutto and cheese are both salty and we recommend skipping salt on the asparagus.)
- To make the bundles, fold the prosciutto in half lengthwise, then place a slice atop the square. Follow with 2-3 stalks of asparagus and 1-2 tablespoons of cheese.
- Lift two opposite corners of the pastry and wrap them around the asparagus, then gently press to seal. Brush the pastry with egg wash. Sprinkle with more pepper if desired.
- Place bundles on the baking sheet and bake until golden and puffed, 12-15 minutes. Serve warm.